Monday, May 14, 2007

Revealing all

Herhimnbryn has commented on my computer skills in producing a banner for my other blog, and I am going to answer her here, as one can never be sure if someone is going to come back again to pick up a comment on a comment.

My impulse to crow about my success with the header was principally powered by astonishment at having any success at all, and it's a bit of a makeshift really. What I really wanted is a picture which fits the banner without being distorted, but I don't know how to do that. Having gone this far, I may as well reveal all, in case it is of any use to anyone.

I Googled on Images for a picture of pouring tea - the title originates in the familiar exchange: "How do you like your tea?" - "Oh, just as it comes, thanks". It has the implication that I have taken my life just as it comes, too. I saved it then put it into the Paint programme. There I could stretch it sideways, and it was pure chance/luck that stretching it to the full width of the Paint page just fitted the template banner - it doesn't fit my Not Dead Yet banner for instance. Also in Paint I was able to add the text, then I saved it as a Jpg so my photo editing programme would accept it, and there I trimmed off the blank page that was left on it from the Paint Programme. I could, alternatively, have added the text in my photo edit programme, but there is only a small choice of fonts there.
I can't tell you how many experimental moves, false starts and repetitions there were in the process. And there is probably a much simpler way of doing it, if I did but know. But I reckon it was as good a mental exercise as crosswords or sudoku, so there you go.

3 comments:

Lucy said...

Clever thing - you've lost me. I didn't know you could even do that with paint!

herhimnbryn said...

Oh, here I am again and you have provided me with all this info. Thankyou J. I will have a play this w/e.

armando said...

For everybody who wants to try out something new in sudoku, try shendoku, using the sudoku rules but playing two people, one against the other, like battleshipps. They have a free version to download at http://www.shendoku.com/sample.pdf . Anything else they are bringing out or they are working on you can find at www.shendoku.com or at they´r blog www.shendoku.blogspot.com . Have fun, I am. I specially like one slogan I heard about Shendoku: SUDOKU is like masturbation (one person)…. SHENDOKU is like sex (it takes two).