Thursday, April 12, 2007

Pick'n'mix collections

I realised the other day how my house resembles a sweet shop, with containers full of goodies set out for people to dip into, pick up and enjoy. I cannot resist small items, and those which represent what I suppose one might call 'domestic archaeology' are particularly attractive to me. This collection contains among other things: light pulls, lamp switches, a window wedge, a key, brass weights, a 1914 penny, a brass magnifier, a brass plug for a sink, a brass padlock, a mini ashtray for the handbag, and what I believe to be a container (with applicator) for an infantryman's gun oil.





This basket contains mostly seed pods, with a few other bits and pieces which seemed to belong. Some were brought for me from Australia by my son, some were collected individually by me, and some were bought at my daughter-in-law's Christmas craft fair.







This was my first pick'n'mix collection, which I started when I knew my first grandchild was expected 15 years ago. I wanted to have something on my coffee table which a small child could play with without restraint, and which could be appreciated both visually and by touch. What I overlooked was, that small children also throw things, and that wooden eggs are more hurtful than real ggs!





This is the latest addition: winter spices, including apple and orange slices, cinnamon sticks,chillis and bay leaves. They have a wonderful fragrance and I wanted to set them up as a sort of pot-pourri. I needed a large container to give as much exposure as possible and eventually I thought of the right thing; it has been hiding in my bathroom cupboard for years. See below for additional views.







9 comments:

Catalyst said...

Judith, you have a marvelous sense of humor.

Catalyst said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Avus said...

Fascinating, J. You have inspired me for a future posting.

Judith said...

Good, Avus, I look forward to it.

Pauline said...

What a neat idea (though my chamber pot has long since disappeared). I am looking through my things to make my own touching bowl and will post it when I'm finished. Thanks for a great idea, Judith!

Granny J said...

Those are splendid collections, though the random batch holds the most promise for interesting tales.

Pete said...

Judith

Lovely collections. I like the idea of a natural children's toybox.

Pete
X

herhimnbryn said...

Great pick and mix J. And what a wonderful 'Gerzunda'!

Lucy said...

What a splendid idea; feely displays, like worry beads - why do we keepthings around just to look at and not to touch?